Sunday 13 January 2013

Favourite Makes (Part 3) - Bookweek costumes



This was a real quickie, and probably my last make using Grandma's vintage sewing machine.  The kids came home with letters announcing they needed to come dressed as book characters for book week.  Well, it just so happened that I had been taking up curtains the previous week and had yards and yards of spare red velvety material (IKEA curtains come sooo long!), so Emily's costume was a no-brainer!  

William's took a bit more thought as there are so few distinctive male book characters - many of the books we liked just had characters that looked like 'a boy' (e.g. George's marvellous medicine, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, Jack and the Beanstalk, etc) and would require elaborate props to show who they were!  I also wanted to make something if I could so that William would feel special too.  In the end we decided on King Arthur.  I had an old blouse of my mum's that was a shiny silver meshed fabric (!) and had been meaning for ages to turn it into chainmail!  I added buttons to the collar/neck so that the blouse could be put on backwards with a kind of loose turtleneck.  I took off the cuffs and shortened the sleeves, narrowed the body and finally squared off the bottom edge.  Covered with a very simple tabard (a hemmed length fabric with a diamond shaped opening) and accessorised with a wide belt and Legoland crown/sword/shield it looks pretty effective!   



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.